This is probably the simplest smoothie recipe ever! I’m a big fan of simplicity and you’ll see quite a few of these coming up.
This Acai Berry Protein Smoothie not only tastes like chocolate berry sorbet but it’ll also give you a health kick with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and keep you feeling full (due to the protein). All this in only 190 kcal! Win win.
- Acai berry (1 sachet) I use the brand Sambozan
- Frozen berries (1 handful)
- Chocolate protein powder (1 large scoop) I use the Women’s best Slim Body Shake powder
- Water (varies between 200-400ml depending on how you like the consistency of the smoothie)
What good will this smoothie do for me?
- Packed full of antioxidants – Acai berry is known for its high content of antioxidants. It may even contain more antioxidants than any of the other berries. Whats more is that in this smoothie we’re adding a handful of frozen berries, that gives it more antioxidants still! But, why should we care about antioxidants? Well, antioxidants are substances that protect the cell from free radicals. An accumulation of free radicals can lead to oxidative damage, which can then lead to a host of diseases. Which we do not want. So you can view antioxidants are the guardians and protectors of your cells, keeping you healthy and glowing.
- High in fibre – Everyone is raving about fibre these days. And for good reason! Anything that doesn’t contain fibre is more or less constipation food. Therefore we want to make sure that we’re eating plenty of fibre. Fibre has so many benefits like regulating the absorption of sugar and thereby reducing the glycaemic index of food, it’s a fuel for the good bacteria in the large intestine and helps to remove toxins and waste from our bodies. In this smoothie, there is fibre in every ingredient (except the water).
- High in vitamins C, A, B1, B2, B3 and E – As we know vitamins are extremely important. Although our bodies do not require them in large quantities, they are absolutely essential for the optimal function of the body. The above-listed vitamins have many health benefits including; supporting the immune system, supporting the nervous system and helping prevent premature ageing.
- Source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper – Again these are needed in small amounts but indeed very needed. These minerals help with the regulation of hormones that ensure order in the body. When your hormones are balanced, you are balanced. Simples.
Check out the nutritional facts of the smoothie below and give this baby a try!