The autumn equinox is the moment when the sun is exactly above the equator making the day and the night equal in length. This year it will take place on Monday 23rd of September. This event occurs twice a year; in autumn and then again in spring, known as the Spring Equinox.
The Autumn Equinox is of significant importance in esoteric texts. The day that the night and day are equal signifies a crossroad. From this point onwards up until the winter solstice the night will lengthen.
This is a time for a change of direction, should you feel the need for it. The energy on this day is extremely powerful and yielding. If you feel like you need to make a change in any aspect of your life, this would be an excellent time to do this.
- Pick a place that is of significance to you, preferably somewhere in nature. Some ideas include; under a beautiful tree in a lush forest, a quiet spot by the sea or somewhere high up in the mountains. If you live in a city and those places aren’t easily accessible to you, then a nearby park should work fine too.
- Make yourself comfortable in your chosen location. Sit down if you can. Then just take a few minutes to look around, notice your surroundings. Take deep breaths.
- Come face to face with your self (your soul, higher self, true self or any other name you may like to use). And ask yourself the most important questions, for example: “Which way should I go?” “Is what I am doing right now serving me and the people around me?” Of course, your questions may be different but you get the essence. In order for this to work you need to be brutally honest with yourself. The truth is simple, you know the answer to those questions, the tough part is getting yourself to admit it and tougher yet is to do something about them.
- Once you have decided the direction of where you are now headed in your life, declare it to the universe. Saying it out loud is extremely beneficial as there is something so powerful about hearing your own voice making such a statement.
- After you’ve made your new decision you must shed something or clear something out (this depends on what your decision is about). This is because you must clear the old and make room for the new. If it is a new eating plan you are embarking on then clear your cupboards and fridge of the things you won’t need. If you’ve decided to incorporate meditation to your morning practice then perhaps prepare the spot where you will meditate, clean the surroundings and prepare a cushion to sit on and so on.
We very rarely speak to ourselves. Sometimes out of fear of someone hearing us talking to ourselves (
P.s. As I am currently in Cyprus I will be performing my Autumn Equinox Ritual in Troodos mountains. I will be posting about it on my social media platforms so do check them out on Monday. I would also love to hear about your ritual, where did you decide to go? Or perhaps you’d like to share what changes you’d like to make?
Let’s make some awesome changes people!