This is probably the simplest smoothie recipe ever! I’m a big fan of simplicity and you’ll see quite a few of these coming up.
This Acai Berry Protein Smoothie not only tastes like chocolate berry sorbet but it’ll also give you a health kick with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and keep you feeling full (due to the protein). All this in only 190 kcal! Win win.
- Acai berry (1 sachet) I use the brand Sambozan
- Frozen berries (1 handful)
- Chocolate protein powder (1 large scoop) I use the Women’s best Slim Body Shake powder
- Water (varies between 200-400ml depending on how you like the consistency of the smoothie)
What good will this smoothie do for me?
- Packed full of antioxidants – Acai berry is known for its high content of antioxidants. It may even contain more antioxidants than any of the other berries. Whats more is that in this smoothie we’re adding a handful of frozen berries, that gives it more antioxidants still! But, why should we care about antioxidants? Well, antioxidants are substances that protect the cell from free radicals. An accumulation of free radicals can lead to oxidative damage, which can then lead to a host of diseases. Which we do not want. So you can view antioxidants are the guardians and protectors of your cells, keeping you healthy and glowing.
- High in fibre – Everyone is raving about fibre these days. And for good reason! Anything that doesn’t contain fibre is more or less constipation food. Therefore we want to make sure that we’re eating plenty of fibre. Fibre has so many benefits like regulating the absorption of sugar and thereby reducing the glycaemic index of food, it’s a fuel for the good bacteria in the large intestine and helps to remove toxins and waste from our bodies. In this smoothie, there is fibre in every ingredient (except the water).
- High in vitamins C, A, B1, B2, B3 and E – As we know vitamins are extremely important. Although our bodies do not require them in large quantities, they are absolutely essential for the optimal function of the body. The above-listed vitamins have many health benefits including; supporting the immune system, supporting the nervous system and helping prevent premature ageing.
- Source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper – Again these are needed in small amounts but indeed very needed. These minerals help with the regulation of hormones that ensure order in the body. When your hormones are balanced, you are balanced. Simples.
Check out the nutritional facts of the smoothie below and give this baby a try!
Açaí bowls have become increasingly popular around the world as a healthy breakfast or snack. It is, without a doubt, its delicious taste and excellent nutritional profile that are making these bowls of goodness so irresistible.
There has been a debate on whether Açaí bowls are actually good for you when eaten on a regular basis. This is due to their inherent high sugar content. Yes, the regular Açaí bowl is a bit heavy on sugar, however it is also very heavy on nutrition. It is packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that are all essential for health.
As for the sugar, steps can be taken to help balance out the dish. These include; incorporating healthy fats, swapping high sugar fruits with lower in sugar fruits and not adding additional sources of sugar such as honey, agave syrup etc.
Read along to discover the healthiest Açaí bowl that compromises neither on taste nor nutrition.
Health benefits of Açaí bowls
- High in antioxidants – The Açaí berry has been shown to have a very high antioxidant content. In many of the studies, its content is higher than that of other berries such as; raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.
- Healthy digestive system– Açaí berries are also have a high fibre content (3-4g per 100g). Fibre ensures an optimally functioning digestive system.
- Beautiful, glowing skin – The high antioxidant content along with the many other micronutrients contained within the Açaí berry are known to have powerful anti-ageing properties. By reducing oxidative damage, the skin is better able to repair and regenerate revealing healthy glowing skin.
- Helps protect against chronic noncommunicable diseases – The Açaí berry also has anti-inflammatory properties. Along with the high fibre, phytonutrients and vitamins and minerals, it may help to prevent diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Aids weight loss – The Açaí berry has been shown to affect appetite hormones there reducing appetite. It may therefore be used to aid weight loss.
- Improves cognitive function – The antioxidant an anti-inflammatory properties of the açaí berry are key components of its effect on memory and cognition. In a process that suppresses biological activity which degrades cellular integrity, açaí berries appear to have a protective effect on brain cells.
- Açaí paste (1 sachet)
- 1/2 banana
- Unsweetened nut milk (almond is best)
- Frozen berries
- Protein powder
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries etc.)
- Nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecan, brazil nuts etc.)
- Seeds (chia seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds etc.)
- Banana slices (no more than 4-5 thin slices)
- Put all base ingredients into the blender and blend. The resultant mixture should be a thick paste consistency.
- Pour the paste into a bowl and decorate with the toppings
- Enjoy! 🙂