It is officially the first day of 2018. While most people are cracking on with their New Year’s resolutions, many of them involving the gym or eating leaves, I would like to take your attention elsewhere. If you haven’t guessed it already, it’s about reading more books and why that may be a much better New Years resolution.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should consider adopting the habit of reading every day.
1. Readers are kinder, more empathetic people
A recent study at Kingston University in London found that people who read more tend to be nicer compared to those who prefer to watch TV. The researchers also found that reading books was associated with increased empathy, as people who read tend to have the ability to put themselves in other people’s shoes and are able to relate to them better.
2. Readers are more likely to be successful
Many successful entrepreneurs and professionals alike share this trait. Many of them would actually say that their success can be traced back to the many books that they read. This is because reading increases your knowledge, and knowledge, as we know, is power.
3. Reading increases your ability to focus
To sit down and read a book requires focus. Most of us have had the experience of reading the same line 10 times and still not knowing what we’ve read. That’s because we’re distracted. Reading on a regular basis can improve your ability to focus because it requires focus. This regular practice of focus can then spill over to other areas of your life, and in turn make you a more focused person.
4. Reading increases your ability to think outside the box
We’ve all heard this before but it’s still worth mentioning. When you read a lot, you’re able to see things from different perspectives. Each author has their own way of expressing themselves and each one sees the world in a slightly different way. That’s why the more you read, the more open-minded you become. The more you’re able to understand different perspectives. This links directly to the first point, as the more you’re able to understand, the kinder you tend to be.
5. Reading makes you more cultured and accepting
It has been discovered that people who read regularly tend to have the ability to blend easily with other cultures. They tend to be more accepting of others being the way they are. This is an extremely desirable personal quality as the world is continuously mixing and being able to speak to, understand and accept people from different cultures is essential.
Ideas of how you can incorporate more reading in your day
- Wake up an hour or so earlier and set aside that first portion of the day to reading.
- Consider swapping the TV with a book.
- Take your book with you to school or work and read in your break.
- Cose up the atmosphere on a Sunday afternoon, make yourself a cup of tea/coffee, get a nice soft blanket and immerse yourself in a good book. Ahh heaven!