Food addictions are real.
It is estimated that at least 20% of the population have some sort of food addiction or exhibit addict-like behaviours.
My clients always ask me “How do you know whether you are addicted to a particular food?”
My response is very simple. Think of the particular food – for an example let’s say chocolate. Imagine never having chocolate ever again in your life. How does that feel? Do you feel an abnormal amount of fear/discomfort rising up within you or just sheer discontent? For real though, if you were told you can never eat chocolate again ever – does this thought scare you? Do you feel like your life will be diminished in some way?
Now think of cucumber. If I told you that you can never ever in your life eat cucumber again. How does that feel? How does this feeling compare to the feeling you got with the chocolate?
I think you see where I’m going with this.
Susceptibility of Addiction
Every body is different, and so of course this does not apply to everyone. But it does apply to a lot of people. And for those to whom it applies, this may literally save their life. So here goes;
- It’s not your fault – I repeat, it is not your fault that your brain is so susceptible to food addiction. This has nothing to do with laziness or lack of willpower. You are not weak.
- If you discover that you have food addiction to a particular food – you have to cut it out completely. I’m talking cold turkey! Trying to have a little of the food you’re addicted to will literally drive you nuts.
- Your addiction can heal – and it will if you eliminate the food completely.
- After a period of time without the addictive food you will not only feel “normal” and not miss it but you will be happier. Addiction = down regulation of dopamine in the brain. As a result, once you heal your addiction – whole, real foods will taste amazing and will satisfy you completely. You will naturally know when to stop eating and you will eat just the right amount of food that your body needs, intuitively.
without further ado, here are the..
Top 12 most addictive foods
- Pizza – this is the number 1 most addictive food! Surprised?
- Chocolate – this one is a no brainer
- Ice cream
- French fries
- Soft Drinks
- Fried Chicken
- Breakfast cereal – most people think of cereal as a healthy way to start the day – you may want to think again and check the food label. Many popular “healthy” cereal brands can contain up to 13g of sugar in 1 serving of 45g… that’s almost 4 teaspoons!!!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this article and hopefully you’ve become more aware of the addictive pull that some “every day, normal” foods can have on your brain and essentially your quality of life.
If you are struggling with food addiction, please know that you are not alone. Do your research and get some help. There are so many fantastic books you can read on the topic or alternatively if you prefer a more personalised approach you could visit a specialist who can help you heal at your own pace. You’re also more than welcome to reach out to me, as a recovering sugar addict I believe I could be of service and provide you some comfort while you’re making the necessary changes.